Medi-Cal is California’s health care program for qualifying individuals and families who receive public assistance or lack health care coverage. The Medi-Cal program provides a broad range of optional health services. The benefit package compares favorably to most employer-funded health plans and to Medicaid benefit packages in other states.
A comprehensive program of health care services is available to those who are eligible, including:
Specialty Care Services
Emergency Room Care
Urgent Care Services
Who May Be Eligible
Generally, services are available to:
Individuals under 21
Individuals who are 65 or older
Individuals who meet the definition of disabled
Families receiving CalWORKs
You and/or your family may qualify for participation in the Medi-Cal program even if you are working, own a house, are married, or you are not a U.S. Citizen.
How To Get Help
A person or family applying for Medi-Cal is required to complete an application. An interview with a worker will be scheduled to obtain facts and verify eligibility.
- Applicants can either come into the office(s) to apply or call and request a mail-in application.
- If the applicant is unable to apply on his/her own behalf, or is deceased, any of the following may complete and file the application for the applicant.
- The applicant’s spouse, guardian, conservator or executor
- A person who knows of the applicant’s need to apply
- A public agency representative
- An application for retroactive coverage must be submitted within one year of the month for which retroactive coverage is requested.
- The county department will require verification of the following information contained on the application form:
- Savings and checking account balances
- The value of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- Trust deeds
- Other real property
- All Medi-Cal income deductions such as child care costs,
health insurance premiums, alimony, etc.
- Non-exempt motor vehicles, including boats, campers or
- Cash value of non-exempt life and burial insurance policies
- Any other item which the county determines to be necessary to establish eligibility
If an interpreter is needed please ask at the time an appointment is made so one can be made available for the interview. There is no cost to you for the services of an interpreter.